The Overseas Domestic Worker Visa is offered by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for families who want to spend six (6) months in the UK together with their nannies, cleaners, chauffeurs, cooks or those providing personal care for the employer and their family.
ECO Immigration Consultancy explains that according to UKVI rules, domestic workers can apply for a visa to visit the UK with their employer if they possess the following qualifications:
- Live outside the UK
- Are a domestic worker in a private household
- Have worked for your employer for at least one year
- Possess other requirements provided by the rules
Before the overseas domestic worker visa became available, the Au Pair visa was the go to visa applied for by families who want to bring their domestic helper with them during their vacation in the UK. This visa, however, is not available anymore and has been replaced by the ODWV.
The rules also allow the visa holder to travel abroad and return to the UK to complete their stay as well as change employers to another job as a domestic worker in a private household, on the condition that they do not stay longer than the 6 months.
The visa holders, however, are not allowed to work except as a domestic worker in a private household, to live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits and obtain public funds.
The visa applicant must comply with the following requirements:
- 19 or older
- Have worked for the employer for at least 1 year
- Work in the same household as the employer or one they use regularly
- Plan to travel to the UK with the employer, their partner or children
- Intend to work as a full-time domestic worker in a UK household where the employer will live in
- Plan to leave the UK at the end of 6 months
- Ere able to support themselves in the UK without the need for public funds
With respect to the employer, the latter shall be eligible by proving either of the following:
- British citizen who usually lives outside the UK and who does not intend to remain in the UK for more than 6 months
- foreign citizen who is coming to the UK on a visit and who does not intend to remain for more than 6 months
- The employer must also pay the applicant at least the UK national minimum wage.
For a more detailed information on how we at ECO Immigration Consultancy can help you file for the Overseas Domestic Worker Visa, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Just click the ECO-Friendly contact box below or go to our “Contact Us” Page.